The purpose of the Ohio State Bar Association Leadership Academy is to identify and train lawyers for future opportunities for leadership in the Association, profession and community; to nurture effective leadership with respect to ethical, professional and community service issues; to raise the level of awareness among lawyers regarding the broad range of issues facing the legal profession and to build relationships among legal leaders and experience levels across the state, and create a cadre of lawyers upon which the OSBA, state and local government entities, local bar associations and community organizations can call upon for leadership and service.
Description of program
This interactive leadership training program will be conducted during a five-month period (January to May). There will be six sessions: a one and a half-day session (requiring overnight stay) and five day-long sessions. Each session will include CLE credit.
Sessions will cover issues such as leadership, ethics and professionalism; state and local government; access to justice; community service, economic development; etc. Participants will become problem solvers and effective lawyer leaders. Speakers and mentors will include leaders from the bench and bar, state and local government and the community.
Program highlights include:
• How to Be Effective with Clients, In-House Counsel, Partners and Judges
• Addressing Clients’ Needs: The Partner’s View Point, The Associate’s Viewpoint
• Branding Yourself: How Lawyers Can Use Social Media and Traditional Marketing
• The Art of Public Speaking and Networking for Attorneys
• Outside the Box: Creating and Changing Policy and Legislation
• How to Handle the Business Aspects of Your Practice
• Dinner with the OSBA Officers and a Session at the Supreme Court of Ohio
2018 Leadership Academy Schedule
Click here to view the 2018 Schedule.
Selection of Academy members
Class size will be limited to 24 lawyers. Selected candidates will generally be in practice between one and 10 years. Appointment to the Leadership Academy will be made by the president of the Association. Only one participant per firm will be selected. Lawyers may apply and/or nominate candidates using the online applications below. Selection will be based on many factors, including:
- Stated commitment to the goals of the Academy;
- Demonstrated interaction with the legal and civic communities; and
- Diversity (geographic, gender, ethnic, racial, age, disability, etc.).
$1,000 (includes all meals, material and overnight accommodations). A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available.
Deadline for applications
The deadline to apply for the 2018 class has been extended to Sept. 29, 2017!
Click here to apply online!
Click here if you would like to nominate a colleague.
The OBSA staff will reach out to the nominee to complete the application.
2017 OSBA Leadership Academy
2016 OSBA Leadership Academy
2015 OSBA Leadership Academy
2014 OSBA Leadership Academy
2013 OSBA Leadership Academy