The Senior Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, procedures and controls to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position will supervise 1-2 Staff Accountants and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses financial deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, the support of budget and forecast activities, and other analytics.
This position will interact with the OSBA’s Executive Director and other key staff members which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal. The ideal candidate possesses leadership capabilities, solid operational and technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Oversees day-to-day operations of the accounting operations and reporting including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, monthly closing, and financial statement preparations for the Ohio State Bar Association as well as our affiliates.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Manage the monthly financial close process, including ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, reviewing journal entries, account balance reconciliations and report preparation.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborates with the other department managers to support overall OSBA goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Continued focus on improving system efficiencies and business practices.
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies. Make recommendations for changes as needed and ensure that company policies and procedures are followed and establishes the proper techniques to discover and prevent fraud.
- Collaborate with the CFO and external auditors to ensure successful audit results and compliance.
- Interacts at all levels and with budget owners or other stakeholders to produce timely, efficient and accurate month-end close and all internal management and financial reporting through annual report.
- Responds to inquiries from the Executive Director, AED, and other members of the organization.
- Support the CFO with special projects, analysis, and workflow process improvements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
- Education BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting.
- Five to seven years of prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Experience working in a professional services firm.
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting.
- Experience with Great Plains or other large automated accounting system.
- Experience working for a non-profit.
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
The Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse environment. The OSBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or physical or mental disability. Please send resume along with salary requirements to be considered to: Kelly Adams, Ohio State Bar Association, 1700 Lake Shore Drive, PO Box 16562, Columbus, Ohio 43216-6562 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. No third parties or phone calls please.