May 3, 2017
The Ohio State Bar Association is now accepting nominations for the 2017 Thomas J. Moyer Award for Judicial Excellence. Established in 2010 in honor of the late Chief Justice, this prestigious award honors a current or former Ohio state or federal judge who demonstrates outstanding qualities of judicial excellence, including integrity, fairness, open-mindedness, knowledge of the law, professionalism, ethics, creativity, sound judgment, courage, and decisiveness. These qualities were exemplified by Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer who posthumously received the inaugural award.
The ideal nominee will have had a distinguished life-long career committed to the advancement of the rule of law and the administration of justice. Evidence that the nominee is deserving of the Award may include a:
- Description of the judicial career and specific accomplishments of the nominee;
- Description of significant contributions to the administration of justice and the rule of law;
- Listing of, or brief excerpts from, scholarly articles, lectures, speeches, or judicial opinions that illustrate extraordinary or remarkable contributions to justice;
- Description of the activities advancing or enhancing the collaborative and professional relationships between the bench and bar; and
- Description of other public activities—for example, civic leadership roles at the state or community level in which the nominee has demonstrated a commitment to the improvement or benefit of society.
Nominees may not be candidates for election or appointment to any elected public office at the time of their nomination or selection. To nominate a candidate, please submit the following:
- The Nomination Form (available at www.ohiobar.org/moyerawardnomination);
- A description of the accomplishments, contributions and/or initiatives of the nominee toward the advancement of the rule of law and administration of justice in Ohio; and
- Any supporting documents such as reports or articles evidencing the nominee's contributions to the advancement of the rule of law and the administration of justice.
Nominations may be submitted by personal delivery, by regular mail or by email to:
Moyer Award Nomination
Ohio State Bar Association
c/o Ken Brown
1700 Lake Shore Drive
P. O. Box 16562
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6562
(614) 485-3194 (fax)email@example.comAll material must be received no later than June 23, 2017.
For more information, contact Ken Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org
or at (614) 487-4426.